The Folger Home
32770 Lake Rd, Avon Lake, OH 44012
The Folger Home in Avon Lake, Ohio, was built in 1902 as a summer home for the Thomas Folger family.
Thomas Folger was born in Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio, Feb 14, 1842. He moved to Lorain County with his family in 1875, and settled in Section 18 of Avon Township. He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving in Company H of the 29th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which saw action at Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, and Peters Mountain.
His father Henry Folger owned the Avon Township Property, which Thomas inherited when Henry died in 1885. Thomas began a vineyard operation on 150 acres at Avon Point in 1878.
Thomas was head of the regional grape growers association in the ensuing years. The family (Thomas, wife Della, and daughters Anna, Ida, Josephine, and Jean) moved to Elyria, Ohio, in 1889 so that the daughters could get a better education than what was available at the time in Avon Township. Thomas was involved in Elyria city government and served as a councilman and mayor. He was running for his second term as Mayor of Elyria when he died in October 1909 at the summer home. The family retained ownership of the home, utilizing it as a summer home for Della, and the families of Anna, Josephine, and Jean, (the Bramans, Cushings, and Pettibones), until 1922 when the home was sold to another individual.
A subsequent owner, Harold G. Barker, conveyed the property to the Village of Avon Lake in March 1926. The building then became Old Village Hall, and served the Village and City of Avon Lake as offices, municipal court, and the caretaker’s apartment. It was last used by the City as the Mayor’s office.
In 2002 the property was leased to the Avon Lake Landmark Preservation Society in order to restore it to useful condition. Donors, members, and volunteers contributed thousands of dollars and hours to this end. In January 2016, ALLPS merged with the Avon Lake Historical Society to become Avon Lake Historical Society, which continues to make site and structural improvements in cooperation with the City of Avon Lake.
Peter Miller House Museum
33740 Lake Rd, Avon Lake, OH 44012
Adam Miller was the first permanent settler in what is now known as the City of Avon Lake, Ohio. Adam and Anna Teamount Miller settled in Avon Township in 1819. They had previously lived in New York State and had according to one account, ten children. The oldest one of whom we have any record was Alexis Miller, the youngest Peter J. Miller. When they arrived they found a wilderness and they built a log cabin in which to live.
On April 17, 1827 Adam Miller conveyed by warranty deed to Peter Miller the land on which the Miller house now stands. Peter Miller was married to Ruth Houseworth on January 3, 1828 in Black River Township. About 1830 they built a frame house, one of the first two on the lakeshore of Avon Township.
Their family consisted of John A., Amanda, Glover, Julia and Jennette. In 1851 Peter Miller died and his family continued to reside on the property until 1925. The house remained in the
possession of the Miller girls and was occupied by various renters until 1960
when it was sold and then sold to the City of Avon Lake in 1962.
Thanks to all of our members who pay dues every year to support the
Museum. Special thanks to all the organizations that have been so supportive:
Women’s Club of Avon Lake, Rotary, Kiwanis, Gamma Rho, Avon-on-the-Lake
Garden Club, Lake Shore Women’s Club and The Avon Lake Historical Society.
The Museum is owned by the City of Avon Lake, Ohio. The Trustees have had a five year renewable ordinance since 1990. Trustees raise money to cover the operating expenses, repairs and painting. Our most recent expense was the cedar shake roof needed repair, clean, and two coats of linseed oil. $4,300.00.